NOTE: Many of these items initially used by the German Army in WWII were re-used by post-war East Germans, West Germans, Swiss, Swedish, Finnish and other European armies. Yes, even Israel used and copied WWII German equipment. Please confirm purchases with one of our unit personnel before spending money on something that may look completely wrong.
- 1936 pattern (dark green collar, scalloped and pleated pockets) wool feldgrau tunic preferred w/ belt-hooks
- 1936 or 1940 Pattern feldgrau standard service or mountain trousers
- Suspenders or belt for trousers
- Undershirt/pullover service/sleep shirt (gray or olive drab)
- Dog tag
- Pair of mountain boots w/ hobnails (post-war Swiss mountain boots work fine)
- Pair of jack boots with hobnails (optional)
- Pair of wool-lined winter boots (optional)
- Pair of gators (olive drab in color)
- M-43 enlisted man's field cap (Feldmütze) or enlisted man's mountain cap (Bergmütze), either must be feldgrau
- Cap T-eagle in Gebirgsjäger configuration
- Cap edelweiss pin with green backing to denote Austrian origin (see Cap-mounted Insignia Section for proper type)
- Pair of enlisted litzen (collar tabs) in Gebirgsjäger coloration (farben)
- Pair of enlisted shoulder boards in Gebirgsjäger coloration (farben)
- Breast eagle insignia
- Shoulder edelweiss patch (either bivo or wool backing are acceptible)
- If you wear glasses, please make an attempt to get period-correct frames for your prescription lenses.
- WWI or WWII Helmet (cammo cover optional) - Converted Spanish Civil War helmets are acceptible - NO BIKER HELMETS
- Black leather belt w/ Heer-style buckle
- "Y-Strap" suspenders
- Pair of black leather pouches for K98K Mauser ammunition
- Canteen, cup, strap & holder (mountain canteens are also acceptible and have the added benefit of a larger fluid capacity)
- Model 98 Carbine (K98K) or converted WWI Model 98 Gewehr (G98) rifle
- Breadbag (light tan in color)
- Bayonet & frog (black leather)
- Complete mess kit, strap & utensils
- Gas mask canister (gas mask optional)
- Entrenching tool (E-tool) & holder (black leather)
- At least one zeltbahn (triangular-shaped cammo poncho) - four zeltbahns can be assembled into a tent, provided you also have tent stakes and center-poles.
- Soldatenbuch (A.K.A. Soldbuch - soldier's book) - holds personal information and is especially useful for recording attended events.
Original Uniform Examples and Resources:
Circa-1938 Austrio-German Gebirgsjäger Wool Uniform
Circa-1944 Austrio-German Gebirgsjäger Tropical Uniform
Links to Rank Structure, Decorations and Insignia
used by Austrio-German Gebirgsjäger Divisions (WWII Era):
Service Medals and Cuff Titles
Awards & Ribbons
Branch Colors (Waffenfarben)
Special thanks to:
Laurent Mirouze and Europa Militaria for "World War II Infantry: In Colour - Photographs"
Guido Rosignoli and MacMillan Publishing for "Army Badges and Insignia of World War 2"
Brian L. Davis and Malcolm McGregor for "Badges and Insignia of the Third Reich 1933-1945"
Jörg M. Hormann for "German Uniforms of the 20th Century - Volume 2: Uniforms of the Infantry - 1919 to the Present"
Gordon Williamson and Stephen Andrew for "Osprey Military Elite Series #63: German Mountain & Ski Troops 1939-45"
U.S. War Department Handbook on German Military Forces
| Equipment List
| Event Photographs |
This Homepage Copyright © 2002, 2nd Mountain Division / 137th Gebirgsjäger Regiment